Transfusion Support in Allogeneic Transplant Patients
Self-Study 231 – Basic to Intermediate Level
Contact Hours (Points): 2
Written by Virginia C. Hughes, PhD, MT(ASCP)SBBCM
Published 2012. Updated 2015.
The goal of this course is to introduce the learner to a variety of transfusion protocols for patients who have undergone a hematopoietic stem cell or bone marrow transplant and describe different serological tests which are currently used to determine the state of seroconversion of transplant patients.
Upon completion of this self-study course on HDFN, the learner will be able to:
- Define a major, minor, and bidirectional ABO incompatibility in patients who have undergone a bone marrow or hematopoietic stem cell transplant.
- Identify the appropriate blood type to transfuse in ABO major, minor, and bidirectional ABO incompatibilities in transplant patients given the donor and recipient blood types.
- List the patient populations in which irradiated products would be required and why.
- Cite dosage requirements for irradiated blood products.
- Compare and contrast autologous, allogeneic, syngeneic, and xenogenic transplantation.
- Lists serological tests used in determining the seroconversion status of a transplant recipient.
- Discuss what blood type to transfuse when the ABO interpretation is ABO unknown or ABO indeterminate in the case of a transplant patient.
- Compare and contrast a major Rh incompatibility and a minor Rh incompatibility.
- Identify the appropriate blood type to transfuse in Rh major and minor incompatibilities given donor and recipient data.
- Describe the concern for CMV infection in transplant recipients.
Online – 231: Course Taken Online: $24.00 BUY NOW
IMPORTANT: This online course is accessible using the following:
Desktop or Laptop Computer – Download the latest Adobe Reader program.
Kindle Fire – No additional App download is necessary.
Apple iPad (all versions) / Nook / Kindle – Recommend purchase of a PDF Reader App, such as GoodReader, Cloudreaders, or Stanza by Amazon. Once downloaded, launch this App to access the course online site in order to logon to and view your course.
Here’s what satisfied customers have to say~
“it was very interesting.”
“The figures in this course were very helpful to understanding the information presented.“
TABLE of CONTENTS
ABO Incompatibility between Donor and Recipient
Challenges of ABO Incompatibilities
Transfusion Protocols for ABO Incompatible Transplants
Rh Mismatches in Transplantation
Serological Challenges in Hematopoietic Cell Transplants
Irradiation of Cellular Blood Products in Transplant Patients