Thyroid Functions, Tests, and Diseases
Self-Study 233 – Basic to Intermediate Level
Contact Hours (Points): 5
Written by Robert L. Sunheimer, MS, MT(ASCP)SCCM, SLSCM, NRCC-CC
Upon completion of this self-study course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the anatomical features and functions of a thyroid gland.
- Predict the serum levels of selected thyroid function tests for a given condition or disease.
- Compare signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
- Describe the clinical and pathological characteristics of, and testing for the following: Hashimoto’s thyroiditis (autoimmune hypothyroidism), Subacute thyroiditis, Grave’s disease, Nonthyroidal illness, Congenital hypothyroidism, Subclinical hypothyroidism, Thyroid function in pregnancy, Hypothyroidism in menopause and postmenopausal, Diffuse nontoxic goiter, Nontoxic multinodular goiter, Toxic multinodular goiter, Hyperfuntioning solitary nodule, TSH-producing adenoma, Well-differentiated thyroid cancer, Undifferentiated thyroid carcinoma, Medullary thyroid carcinoma
- Identify at least one clinical use for each thyroid function test listed below: Calcitonin, Reverse triiodothyronine, Thyroglobulin, Thyroglobulin autoantibodies, Thyroid peroxidase antibodies, Thyrotropin (Thyroid stimulating hormone), Thyroxine (tetraiodothyronine), Thyroxine – Free, Thyroxine – Free Index, Thyroxine-binding globulin, Triiodothyronine – Free, Triiodothyronine – Total, Triiodothyronine uptake test
Online – 233: Course Taken Online: $ 60.00 BUY NOW
IMPORTANT: This online course is accessible using the following:
Desktop or Laptop Computer – Download the latest Adobe Reader program.
Kindle Fire – No additional App download is necessary.
Apple iPad (all versions) / Nook / Kindle – Recommend purchase of a PDF Reader App, such as GoodReader, Cloudreaders, or Stanza by Amazon. Once downloaded, launch this App to access the course online site in order to logon to and view your course.
Here’s what satisfied customers say~
“I learned more than I already know.”
“Clarified many aspects of lab testing in this subject.”
“Good presentation. Easy to understand.”
TABLE of CONTENTS
SECTION I: Thyroid Gland
Anatomy, Synthesis, Transport, and Metabolism, Calcitonin, Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Thyroid Axis, Physiological Effects of Thyroid Hormone 11
SECTION II: Thyroid Disorders
Introduction, Reference Intervals, Hypothyroidism, Autoimmune Hypothyroidism, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Congenital Hypothyroidism, Laboratory Evaluation of Hypothyroidism, Other Causes of Hypothyroidism, Thyrotoxicosis, Thyroiditis, Subacute Thyroiditis, Other Causes of Thyrotoxicosis, Nonthyroidal Illness, Thyroid Function in Pregnancy, Changes in Thyroid Physiology in Menopause and Postmenopausal Women, Goiter, Diffuse Nontoxic Goiter, Nontoxic Multinodular Goiter, Toxic Multinodular Goiter, Hyperfunctioning Solitary Nodule, Thyroid Neoplasm, Well-differentiated Thyroid Cancer, Undifferentiated (anaplastic) Carcinomas, Other Malignancies, Laboratory Tests for Thyroid Cancer
SECTION III: Thyroid Function Tests
Introduction, Types of Thyroid Tests, Competitive Immunoassays, Noncompetitive immunoassays, Select Assay Parameters, Limitations, Monoclonal and Polyclonal Antibodies, Specificity, Assay Sensitivity, Effects of Drugs on Thyroid Tests, Thyroid Function Tests, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, Total Thyroxine, Total Triiodothyronine, Reverse Triiodothyronine, Free Thyroxine and Free Triiodothyronine, Equilibrium vs. Direct Assays, T3 Uptake and Thyroid Hormone-Binding Ratio, Thyroxine/Thyroxine Binding Ratio, Thyroglobulin, Thyroglobulin Antibodies, Thyroperoxidase Antibody, Thyrotropin-Receptor Antibodies, Calcitonin, Non-Laboratory Diagnostic Tests
Thyroid Uptake of Radioactive Compounds, TSH Stimulation Test, Fine Needle Aspirate Biopsy, Thyroid Ultrasound
SECTION IV: Case Studies
Introduction, Case #1 Grave’s Disease, Case #2 Addison’s Disease Associated with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Case #3 Thyroid lymphoma associated with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Case #4 Hyperthyroidism secondary to pituitary adenoma, Thyroid-Related Antibodies