A Jump Start to Phlebotomy
Self-Study 238 – Basic to Intermediate Level
Contact Hours (Points): 5
Written by Jennifer Z. Mead, MLS(ASCP)CM
The goal of this course is to introduce the reader to the art of phlebotomy, with an emphasis on patient safety and customer service. The reader will gain a basic understanding of equipment and methods as they progress through the course.
On completion of the course, the learner should be prepared to begin supervised hands-on training in a clinical setting.
Objectives. After completion of this course, the learner should be able to:
1. Describe the importance of phlebotomists in laboratory medicine.
2. Describe the qualities of a good phlebotomist.
3. List key tests that are performed in each department of the laboratory.
4. Follow standard and transmission based precautions.
5. Explain the difference between serum and plasma.
6. Correlate additives and anticoagulants to their mode of action and use.
7. Given a list of tubes with additives, select the appropriate order of draw.
8. Trace the flow of blood through the heart.
9. Select the safest veins for venipuncture.
10. Describe how to perform a routine venipuncture.
11. Briefly describe the use of a butterfly and syringe.
12. Minimize the risk of an accidental needlestick.
13. Follow the standard of care to prevent and/or respond to adverse affects of phlebotomy including bruises, allergic reactions, accidental arterial puncture, excessive bleeding, nerve damage, syncope, nausea and vomiting, seizure, and infection.
14. Briefly describe venipuncture on pediatric patients.
15. Describe extra identification procedures commonly used in blood banking.
16. Maximize the chances for detecting bacteremia or sepsis utilizing blood cultures.
17. Minimize blood culture contamination rates.
18. Perform capillary puncture on adults and children.
19. Describe the pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical phases of the laboratory process.
20. Prevent specimen rejection due to pre-analytical errors.
21. Briefly discuss legal issues in phlebotomy and patient rights.
Online – 238: Course Taken Online: $49.00 BUY NOW
IMPORTANT: This online course is accessible using the following:
Desktop or Laptop Computer – Download the latest Adobe Reader program.
Kindle Fire – No additional App download is necessary.
Apple iPad (all versions) / Nook / Kindle – Recommend purchase of a PDF Reader App, such as GoodReader, Cloudreaders, or Stanza by Amazon. Once downloaded, launch this App to access the course online site in order to logon to and view your course.
Here’s what satisfied customers say~
“The content was presented in a format that was easily understood. ”